'When one door closes,another one opens but we often look so long and regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us' ~Alexander Graham Bell
Being unemployed or on a break for more than a few months can lead to depression.It can severely affect one's self-confidence.Some people become more pessimistic and that takes a toll on their health.They develop a rigid outlook towards life and a drastic change is seen in their behaviour and their interactions with others.Slowly and eventually they develop a wall around themselves and are cocooned within it.
Though the above are some of the acute symptoms of depression unemployment is not the end of life. Every dark cloud has a silver lining and a break at work usually means a thousand opportunities . I personally believe that being jobless opens up a world of possibilities.Imagine getting up everyday to think that there is something new and exciting to learn today,rather than get doomed by the thought of "Oh I have nothing to do!.Knowing that the day has something innovative to provide you itself is a great feeling isn't it?
In today's world of Internet and Technology where everything is available at a mere click of a button,I just wonder the immense opportunities that one can avail of when on a break or on the lookout for a new job.New skills,new hobbies,good books,voluntary activities,meditation are just some ways of keeping the mind motivated.The internet has paved way for building new connections. Today,unlike the yesteryears, one can take up courses online and learn new skills, learn a new instrument,take up creative writing. Reading books allows one to be in touch with one's self,induces radical thoughts and sometimes invades the boundaries of imagination.Where is the time to get depressed then,when there is so much to do?
I was reading this book on Steve Jobs by Walter Issaacson and was quite struck by a phenomenon mentioned in the book. It is called 'The Reality Distortion Field'. It was a phrase mentioned in the Star Trek series that related to the creation of a new world by aliens due to sheer mental force.Something which mean't that if one thinks something as possible it indeed becomes possible. When you think of something as possible,the whole universe conspires to make that thing possible for you.
I personally have come to believe that a simple positive thought that I can do it,all things are possible for me, can change one's outlook towards life.There have been times when I have felt low,felt like giving up ,however negativity simply breeds more negativity and so is it true vice versa.The days when I have woken up thinking I will do my best to learn something new today are the days which have been my happiest and most fulfilling.As Rhonda Byrne mentions in her book The Secret 'You become what you think about most.But you also attract what you think about most'.Thanks to the Internet,some really great books and many positive people around me today,I can confidently say 'I am standing at the door to the World of Possibilities'
Last but not the least ,Mahatma Gandhi too has quoted "Man often becomes what he believes himself to be.If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing,it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it.On the contrary,if I have the belied that I can do it,I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning"

No comments:
Post a Comment