Kids ......they never stop surprising you!!!!!!
*************************************************************************************
Last Tuesday we did a comprehension on Sudha Murthy and her letter to JRD Tata raising voice against gender bias in Tata Motors. The kids were in a certain frame of mind. I gave them a topic to write on "Should Men and Women play different roles in the society?" They had to write whatever they felt,I was just seeking ideas nothing much.
A time slot of 1 week was given to them to do research,watch movies concerned with the topic,read news related to it and write an essay.On Saturday Priyanka came upto me and said "Didi I went to a few houses in my neighbourhood and interviewed a few people as to what they think about the roles being played by men and women." I was taken aback and thrilled to hear it. In my mind I had many thoughts,I never had guts to do this when I was her age,she actually went out to find practical information.I had never thought anyone would take a step to seek out how women are and what kind of jobs they do in reality.All in all just for the sake of an essay.I myself may have consulted a few books but here this lady of 13 years is doing a survey and she has put the data in her essay.This was too much to take in.
Then yesterday we discussed the topic and I mentioned Priyanka's survey in class and expected just an applause from the class for her.However there was another surprise waiting for me.Now her technique had turned contagious,most students (majorly girls) in class wanted to do a survey in their neighbourhood and find out about what roles should men and women play in the society. To add to it they also wanted to know if men and women should switch roles regularly. I gladly gave my consent seeing their excitement.What I had thought as a simple essay subject was slowly turning into an interesting topic of debate.
Currently I am just waiting for Thursday when I would actually get to know what their survey results were.Keep watching this space for more!!!! See you all post Thursday class!!
******************************************************************************************
No comments:
Post a Comment