'Matro Devo Bhava' ,'Pitro Devo Bhava'.These are the first lessons taught to a child according to our Hindu scriptures.We say God is omnipresent but he is not seen and so he came to us in the form of our parents.
Parents have an important part in the upbringing of their children.They love,care for their children,at times they even shout at us,but even then its their love and affection that speaks.Still it really hurts when many young people these days commit suicide when their wishes are not fulfilled by their parents.When they do so,don't they even feel how such an extreme step must be hurting their parents??They have put in endless efforts to bring up and is this the way to repay them?We all know 'Experience is the Best Teacher'.When they say something for our good,it is their experience that speaks and should be taken positively.
So today I would like to speak my parents words.Some important qualities of my parents which teach me a lesson everyday;and which will give me the right kind of confidence to face this world one day.
My parents always have believed in 'Simple Living and High Thinking'.You will always find them quoting great people and making people believe into living life in a simple manner.
My mother is a Gandhian in a true sense.By Gandhian I mean,the way she supports non violence.I am a very hot-tempered person and can't tolerate insults at any cost(though I don't speak,it remains in my mind), at such times I go to her with complaints and her usual words are 'Let people speak.It's their right to speak.Listen calmly.You need not fear if you are right.If they are wrong,your silence will make them realize their mistake.Unnecessary verbal clashes would increase tensions.'Such calm and cool is her temperament that it has the magical effect on me and yes needless to say the situation does turn right.Revenge is a very bad word.In a world where we can't guarantee we would come back alive in the evening after leaving home in the morning why hold grudges??Is there a need to seek the wrong of others.It's just a matter of Live and Let Live and this I have learnt from no one else but my mother.Her silent attitude is also seen when she deals with her tuition kids.I may get angry sometimes if the kids behave wrongly;however my Mom manages to tackle them intelligently.
Another thing I like about her is her selfless attitude.Give whatever you can but expect nothing in return.Always help those in need.Sometimes my business mind makes me argue with her and then she gives me the example of Jaikishan the sculptor.Yes this was a lesson we had in our school curriculum which I forget but my mom avidly remembers.In the story all sculptors work for the sake of getting praises from people but Jaikishan is the one who works alone in a dark secluded room.When asked why is he working alone in the dark and that there is nobody to see his work,he says 'Who says there is no one;God is there and he is seeing me work,that's enough for me'.This is her favourite example she always gives me whenever I fail in my attempt to do anything or when I don't get the desired results.She has a treasure of such short stories,some from her own experience and some from the books that she reads and with these she always gets me back on the right track.
My Dad,a strict displinarian.Even today not only me,my cousins too fear him.It is very much a military environment at our home.Discipline rules.I hate it and many times there are heated arguments.You come home and you will always find him correcting me ,shouting at me for not keeping things in order.Sometimes it really irritates me.However when I give it a second thought,I realize that discipline is needed.We may not realise it's importance now but some day it would be needed.He would always be heard saying 'Man does not grow without struggle.Only when he struggles he experiences life in a real sense'.Maybe, I feel,it is due to all the struggles that he has undergone throughout his life,he has become tough and disciplined and as he has seen those hard days he wants us to be displined too to face life's situations boldly.
Another quality that is seen in him is Independence.He always cribs that I haven't become fully independent but I must say yes this is one quality that I am learning from none else but himself.Bank related work,passport,pan card stuff or for that matter any new things that I had to know,he has always asked me to find out for myself.Never would there be any help.You have to learn yourself.Make mistakes,never mind,you will learn from them but don't be dependent.It's like the baby taking the first walk.No support,the baby falls but ultimately learns to walk.
Such are the lessons I get daily in my life.I really feel proud and thank God for giving me such great parents.I don't claim I have mastered any of their qualities mentioned above but yes I am a learner and learning daily and one day,at some later stage in my life I am confident that these values that they instill in me daily will help me face the world with courage and confidence.
Parents have an important part in the upbringing of their children.They love,care for their children,at times they even shout at us,but even then its their love and affection that speaks.Still it really hurts when many young people these days commit suicide when their wishes are not fulfilled by their parents.When they do so,don't they even feel how such an extreme step must be hurting their parents??They have put in endless efforts to bring up and is this the way to repay them?We all know 'Experience is the Best Teacher'.When they say something for our good,it is their experience that speaks and should be taken positively.
So today I would like to speak my parents words.Some important qualities of my parents which teach me a lesson everyday;and which will give me the right kind of confidence to face this world one day.
My parents always have believed in 'Simple Living and High Thinking'.You will always find them quoting great people and making people believe into living life in a simple manner.
My mother is a Gandhian in a true sense.By Gandhian I mean,the way she supports non violence.I am a very hot-tempered person and can't tolerate insults at any cost(though I don't speak,it remains in my mind), at such times I go to her with complaints and her usual words are 'Let people speak.It's their right to speak.Listen calmly.You need not fear if you are right.If they are wrong,your silence will make them realize their mistake.Unnecessary verbal clashes would increase tensions.'Such calm and cool is her temperament that it has the magical effect on me and yes needless to say the situation does turn right.Revenge is a very bad word.In a world where we can't guarantee we would come back alive in the evening after leaving home in the morning why hold grudges??Is there a need to seek the wrong of others.It's just a matter of Live and Let Live and this I have learnt from no one else but my mother.Her silent attitude is also seen when she deals with her tuition kids.I may get angry sometimes if the kids behave wrongly;however my Mom manages to tackle them intelligently.
Another thing I like about her is her selfless attitude.Give whatever you can but expect nothing in return.Always help those in need.Sometimes my business mind makes me argue with her and then she gives me the example of Jaikishan the sculptor.Yes this was a lesson we had in our school curriculum which I forget but my mom avidly remembers.In the story all sculptors work for the sake of getting praises from people but Jaikishan is the one who works alone in a dark secluded room.When asked why is he working alone in the dark and that there is nobody to see his work,he says 'Who says there is no one;God is there and he is seeing me work,that's enough for me'.This is her favourite example she always gives me whenever I fail in my attempt to do anything or when I don't get the desired results.She has a treasure of such short stories,some from her own experience and some from the books that she reads and with these she always gets me back on the right track.
My Dad,a strict displinarian.Even today not only me,my cousins too fear him.It is very much a military environment at our home.Discipline rules.I hate it and many times there are heated arguments.You come home and you will always find him correcting me ,shouting at me for not keeping things in order.Sometimes it really irritates me.However when I give it a second thought,I realize that discipline is needed.We may not realise it's importance now but some day it would be needed.He would always be heard saying 'Man does not grow without struggle.Only when he struggles he experiences life in a real sense'.Maybe, I feel,it is due to all the struggles that he has undergone throughout his life,he has become tough and disciplined and as he has seen those hard days he wants us to be displined too to face life's situations boldly.
Another quality that is seen in him is Independence.He always cribs that I haven't become fully independent but I must say yes this is one quality that I am learning from none else but himself.Bank related work,passport,pan card stuff or for that matter any new things that I had to know,he has always asked me to find out for myself.Never would there be any help.You have to learn yourself.Make mistakes,never mind,you will learn from them but don't be dependent.It's like the baby taking the first walk.No support,the baby falls but ultimately learns to walk.
Such are the lessons I get daily in my life.I really feel proud and thank God for giving me such great parents.I don't claim I have mastered any of their qualities mentioned above but yes I am a learner and learning daily and one day,at some later stage in my life I am confident that these values that they instill in me daily will help me face the world with courage and confidence.
Finally a bit modified marathi poem,
Jagi Aaibabansarkhe kon aahe
Jyanche janmantariche run aahe
Ase run he jyas vyaz naahi
Tya runavin jeevanas saaz naahi.
Dear Amma and Anna,I pray to God that he bless you both with happiness and a great health always.Thank you very much for giving me wealth in the form of values,love and affection which is priceless in front of any kind of money.Love you!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment