I was having my breakfast when my father who was reading the newspaper suddenly announced '12th Std exams would commence on the 22nd of February'.Naturally as a flashback,the day I gave my HSC exams appeared before my eyes.Though not exactly the same day,the trend was to have the board exams plus or minus 22nd Feb.
I remember how not only my family but even relatives were excited about board exams.You go to a wedding,a thread-ceremony or a GSB function,people were always there to question your preparation.Which classes you go to?,how many hours you study,Do you take regular tests on and on... the questionaire never seemed to stop.Their excitement and anxiousness would sometimes make me feel if I am going to a war.Exams though scheduled to start from the last week of February,phone calls conveying best wishes were received almost a month in advance.
One thing very true about HSC exams were the regular sincere efforts that were being put to studies unlike further in Engineering where books were meant to be opened only during vivas and practice leaves.Almost two years were spent slogging(yes two years because lessons for 12th started in 11th class itself),attending classes(college attendance was close to nil) and in test taking.I still remember those days when I enjoyed solving Maths/Physics problems,somewhat used to be bored dealing Chemistry equations and was least bothered about Biology diagrams.(How I used to hate Biology!!!!!...Even now many a times I regret wasting my two years learning something I was least interested in).Sorry Bio lovers for making harsh comments on the subject but such was my mindset then,that even in the final Bio exam I remember I gave the paper somewhat hesitantly.
The exams,how can I forget them?What was learnt for the entire year had to be reproduced in the span of 3 hours(How unfair!!! I feel now).Parents even waited for those 3 hours outside the examination hall just to give moral support to their children in case they did not do well.Thus the month of February and the start of March was one heavy period for students.
I remember how not only my family but even relatives were excited about board exams.You go to a wedding,a thread-ceremony or a GSB function,people were always there to question your preparation.Which classes you go to?,how many hours you study,Do you take regular tests on and on... the questionaire never seemed to stop.Their excitement and anxiousness would sometimes make me feel if I am going to a war.Exams though scheduled to start from the last week of February,phone calls conveying best wishes were received almost a month in advance.
One thing very true about HSC exams were the regular sincere efforts that were being put to studies unlike further in Engineering where books were meant to be opened only during vivas and practice leaves.Almost two years were spent slogging(yes two years because lessons for 12th started in 11th class itself),attending classes(college attendance was close to nil) and in test taking.I still remember those days when I enjoyed solving Maths/Physics problems,somewhat used to be bored dealing Chemistry equations and was least bothered about Biology diagrams.(How I used to hate Biology!!!!!...Even now many a times I regret wasting my two years learning something I was least interested in).Sorry Bio lovers for making harsh comments on the subject but such was my mindset then,that even in the final Bio exam I remember I gave the paper somewhat hesitantly.
The exams,how can I forget them?What was learnt for the entire year had to be reproduced in the span of 3 hours(How unfair!!! I feel now).Parents even waited for those 3 hours outside the examination hall just to give moral support to their children in case they did not do well.Thus the month of February and the start of March was one heavy period for students.
The last day of exams however was one memorable day.(a day to party and relish one's favorite ice-cream or go for a movie).Also "SLEEP" which was a sign of distraction during the entire exam period would go on a vacation on the day exams got over.(Why??? neend hi nahi aati exams khatam hone par)
Seven years have passed since I passed my 12th Std exams but the weightage the word 'Board exams' carry remains the same even today.The same excitement and anxiousness prevails but only for those who are currently in that phase.For us who have moved beyond that,anyone else speaking excitedly about board exams brings a smile on our faces and takes us back to those memories like today!!!!
Seven years have passed since I passed my 12th Std exams but the weightage the word 'Board exams' carry remains the same even today.The same excitement and anxiousness prevails but only for those who are currently in that phase.For us who have moved beyond that,anyone else speaking excitedly about board exams brings a smile on our faces and takes us back to those memories like today!!!!
Finally a quote by Charles Caleb Colton before concluding.
“Examinations are formidable even to the best prepared, for the greatest fool may ask more than the wisest man can answer.”
All the Best To all taking exams this February season!!!!!
Great memories associated with exams...and as rightly pointed out, any discussion takes us into those days...:)
ReplyDeleteTo top it up for u guys, i think CET was an additional headache...which carried on to our times too, although it wasnt actually useful for me as i got into the coll based on my HSc marks...:)
Keep up the blogging...even i need to...:D
Yes Srinath...CET was really a surprise package for us....yeah I took up blogging to destress myself. :)
ReplyDelete